Hilda P. Barrow Outstanding Developmental Educator of the Year
$300 cash award and plaque
This award recognizes the contributions of a person who has helped students achieve their desired goals. The person recognized shows a lifetime of service to students through professional excellence and personal commitment. Evidence of achievement would be clear from student letters, letters from colleagues, and other documentation following the guidelines for the NOSS service award.
- Letter of nomination, including identification of student populations the nominee served or is currently serving.
- Resume of the nominee
- Supporting material must include the following:
- Letter(s) from student(s)
- Letter(s) from administration, faculty, and/or colleagues
- Letter(s) from developmental studies faculty member(s)
- Letter(s) from colleagues outside the developmental area
Kellogg Institute Scholarship
$750 scholarship to the Kellogg Institute
NCOSS is pleased to offer a partial scholarship for an NCOSS member who plans to attend the Kellogg Institute. The applicant must have been a member of NCOSS for two years and have had some leadership role in NCOSS. Preference will be given to a person who has participated in at least two NCOSS conferences and is a member of NOSS.
Shining Star Award
The purpose of the “Shining Star Award” is to acknowledge and recognize an individual, an institution, or an agency who has demonstrated a commitment to celebrating diversity.
- The recipient of the “Shining Star Award” will document his/her commitment to diversity in one or more of the following ways:
- Devote time in class sessions and/or other public forums discussing the values of diversity as it relates to recognizing, understanding, and appreciating differences.
- Demonstrate in day-to-day activities and interactions with others an understanding of and a need for diversity.
- Identify and expose sexism, racism, and other forms of systematic oppression.
- Initiate or actively participate in activities at school or in the community that are focused on eliminating prejudice.
- Display an attitude of honesty, openness, and harmonious team building.
- Letter of nomination sharing events, accomplishments, dates, times, places, and people impacted